Thursday, March 8, 2012

Meyer Lemon Chicken

Have you ever had that moment when you look into the fridge and realize that there isn't much to work with? Let me rephrase that, it's dinner time and you have spaghetti but no sauce, or macaroni but no cheese? Well, I found myself in that exact predicament this past Monday night (having failed to go to the grocery store like I'd planned). Despite my lack of planning, I managed to make a meal that was a winner, winner chicken dinner! (Yes, pun intended) I give you Simaryon's Meyer Lemon Chicken...


First, you'll need the ingredients right? Well let me warn you, there are lots of them! 
(Feel free to adjust everything to you/your family's likes...I'm just telling you what worked for me)


  • 6 chicken thighs (w/ skin)
  • 4-6 red skinned potatoes (small/medium, quartered)
  • 3-4 carrots (peeled, cut to bite size)
  • 2 Meyer lemons
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic (or 2 cloves finely chopped)
  • 2 tbsp. olive OR coconut oil
  • 2 tbsp. balsamic salad dressing (I used Kraft Sweet Balsamic)
  • 1 1/2 c of chicken stock or broth
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Various Herbs & Spices

I used: Oregano, adobo, dry mustard, cumin, dill weed, cinnamon, onion powder, and an italian herb blend...sounds like a LOT, I know
(Hey, if the "Colonel" can use 11 herbs and spices, why can't I?)

















I cleaned and seasoned the chicken early in the day and covered it with cling wrap and let it marinate in the fridge until I was ready to cook. I tend to season my food generously, but of course, you should use as much as you feel comfortable with. Keep in mind that the potatoes will absorb a lot of the flavor in the dish, so you want to be sure that you use enough!








I heated the coconut oil until it was nice and hot. I then added the chicken in skin-side down and let it cook on medium/high heat while I prepared the veggies...

I sliced the onions and lemon and removed the seeds before laying them on top of the chicken like this...





Don't fuss with it during this time! No stirring, no chicken flipping, just let it do it's thing.

Now it's time to get to the chopping!



<------ Turn this   

into this ------>





 


<----- this 


into this ----->

<----- and this

into this ----->






and dump it all into the pan!




Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the veggies for added flavor and add the balsamic and chicken stock over the whole shebang!












Cover and cook until veggies are for tender and chicken is fully cooked




YUMMY!








P.S. I also made a wonderfully simple salad of baby spinach, strawberry, and onion (sliced thin).
I topped with with salted sunflower seeds, feta cheese and the same sweet balsamic in the dish.




I really hope you try this dish...it's a little bit of prep work, but it's well worth it!
Please let me know how it worked out for you...


Much love,
Simaryon












No comments:

Post a Comment