Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Holy Cannoli!

(Disclaimer: This post has NOTHING to do with cannoli)

Hello Blogger friends.

Oh my word! It's been a lot of nothing going on here on the Simi-Sweet Creations blog...well, I can't say the same about my life! I've made some huge changes, I traded my job and my life in sweet, quiet Canton, Ga for the craziness of The Bronx, N.Y. (Heaven help me). 

My oh my, the things we do for love. To make a long story short, my fiance and I had been in a long distance relationship for 6 whole years, so I moved up here until my sweetheart graduates with a Masters Degree...

It's been an adventure, to say the least, but we're settling in quite nicely. I'm working diligently to merge our things and carve out my space in this tiny cozy apartment. (I'll be posting a few of my decorating projects in future posts...I promise)



Ok, now that you're caught up on the last month of my life...here's the meat and potatoes of today's post:



Sponge Daubers!

I know, not very exciting stuff. Surely not worthy of the 'Holy Cannoli' blog post title...


(Insert infomercial announcers voice here)
But wait, There's more:


Pretty, D.I.Y, refillable, virtually free, sponge daubers!



How did she do it you ask? Here's how:


About two hours ago, I was sitting here at my craft desk, gathering supplies for a blog challenge project (we'll get to that tomorrow). I dug into my washi tape box and found an empty little cardboard tube. I absentmindedly stuck my finger in it and it reminded me of a sponge dauber. I went to toss it in the trash when the light bulb came on as bright as ever!

I'd already had cosmetic sponges on my desk because I was using them with some distress ink for another project. (they hadn't worked very well either)



Just to see if I could, I stuffed one of the sponges into the little tube and HOLY CANNOLI, it worked!



Once I had it looking like it was supposed to, I went digging in my washi tape box again to find out where this wonderful little tube had come from...

A little investigation lead me to these rolls of paper tape that I'd bought in a clearance bin nearly a year ago! I had never used them on a project because I could never find the right way to use them. The material is much heavier than washi tape and not as easy to work with. Fortunately for me, they were so cute that I hadn't given them away when I purged my craft area before the move...

Here they are 'naked'



Here they are all dressed up!
Because they came from a roll of paper tape, they were super easy to decorate...

Thee best part about these cuties is that they were totally FREE! How much do you love that?!?
Wait, there's something better about them...they're refillable! YAY!
All I have to do is pop out the cosmetic sponge and pop in a new one.
Comparing the cost of 3 daubers at $3-$5 and the cost of a package of makeup wedges (mine had 28 pieces) for $1...I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.
Ok, back to my paper crafting...I have a TON to get caught up on.


Thank you so much for stopping by. Have a wonderful day!








































No comments:

Post a Comment